© 2012 Peter Green. All rights reserved. baldeagle1b

bald eagles in providence, rhode island

My lucky day – while walking along Blackstone Blvd in Providence, I was surprised by an adult bald eagle soaring high overhead:

© 2012 Peter Green. All rights reserved.

It was interesting to see a silver ID band on its ankle:

© 2012 Peter Green. All rights reserved.

Later along the Blackstone River, two juvenile eagles briefly interacted with an osprey:

© 2012 Peter Green. All rights reserved.
© 2012 Peter Green. All rights reserved.
© 2012 Peter Green. All rights reserved.

eagle on the left, osprey on the right:

© 2012 Peter Green. All rights reserved.

16 Comments

1. Susan Stevenson
    Posted 04.06.12 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Lucky for us that a professional wildlife photographer was watching the skies!
    Sue Stevenson
    South Lake Tahoe California

• Peter Green
      Posted 04.06.12 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

• Dawn
      Posted 04.07.12 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

My mom & I saw you that afternoon after you had shot these pics. I am looking at your site now as well as these photos and they’re fabulous. Beautiful ! You do nice work. Good luck & thank you !

• Peter Green
      Posted 04.07.12 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Hi again Dawn, thanks for checking out my site, I appreciate it!

2. July Lewis
    Posted 04.09.12 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

So cool! I once saw a bald Eagle when I was parking behind Cafe Zog on Wickenden Street. It was flying over 195/Providence Harbor. I looked hard–definitely not an Osprey or anything else! Not where I would expect to see one!

• Peter Green
      Posted 04.09.12 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the comment, July. I’m told eagles have been spotted along the river for a few years but this was my first good view of an adult. I hope everything is going well as ASRI.

3. Ailene
    Posted 10.13.12 at 12:12 am | Permalink

Hi Peter,

Absolutely beautiful! I have no words for your awesome pictures of these majestic creatures.. I am so glad I found your website. These are some of my favorite animals. My nephew recently told me he spotted 2 bald eagles soaring through the sky near Hope H.S. on the eastside of Prov. my sister & I were a little skeptical but sure enough… He knew what he saw! I hope to one day be blessed to see a bald eagle. We have a red-tail hawk family in the woods behind my work place! Just gorgeous!

• Peter Green
      Posted 10.14.12 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Thank you Ailene, I appreciate the compliments. I’m also skeptical when someone says they’ve seen a bald eagle (it’s usually a hawk) but in this instance your nephew was probably right – good for him!

4. Ryan P
    Posted 11.02.13 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I spotted a bald eagle in East Providence RI last Sunday approx 9:30am flying over the egde of the bay near metacomet golf course and the veterans memorial parkway…..couldn’t believe my eyes very big bird lover n know the differences between ospreys , hawks etc…..I pulled over but was too late to anap a photo but will be on the lookout to hopefully spot again .

• Peter Green
      Posted 11.03.13 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Cool to hear, Ryan – thanks for sharing.

• Betsy D
      Posted 12.04.14 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

I spotted one in the same place this afternoon ( 12/4/14) around 3:20 PM. It was carrying a fish in its talons. I’m guessing that it’s been fishing in Watchemoket Cove and seems to live across the Bay…at least that was where it was heading this afternoon with its food….

5. carolyn ambers
    Posted 11.10.13 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

A friend of mine just recommended your page. Wonderful work! There are several well established, active eagle nests in RI., one of which is actually quite close to Providence (as the eagle flies haha). I’ve seen them (the birds) in Westerly and North Kingstown. (the NK sighting was rather close – I had pulled over on a back road to adjust the lid of my coffee cup when a baldy glided out of the woods to my left, right over the front hood- wingtips actually brushing the vehicle! And it was def a baldy since the white head is unmistakeable. )

• Peter Green
      Posted 11.11.13 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Thank you for checking out my photos. Great to hear about more eagle sightings in RI – thanks for sharing, Carolyn, I’ll keep looking for them…

6. Jay
    Posted 05.24.14 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I am at Swan Point cemetary right now and just saw 2 adult bald eagles fishing from the Blackstone River. Way cool

• Peter Green
      Posted 05.24.14 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Excellent, Jay, I’m glad you got to see them

7. Lenny C.
    Posted 06.15.14 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Hello Peter, thanks again for the incredible photos of the Bald Eagles! I work construction and currently working out of state and witnessed only once although breathtaking the bald eagle in flight. We all stopped what we were doing and just marveled at this majestic site!